httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Korthof" ...@organic.com>
Subject Re: AOL, BrowserMatch, allow/deny
Date Mon, 23 Dec 1996 23:09:58 GMT
On Dec 23,  5:19pm, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> Subject: Re: AOL, BrowserMatch, allow/deny

> Am I missing something here? Surely AOL doesn't cache multiple copies of the
> same response (except on separate proxy machines, perhaps), and they *should*
> be checking the origin server to see if the response has been updated before
> replying with the cached copy, no?

Ah -- no, I don't think you are missing anything, not if this made it start
working.  They should definitely do a HEAD to get the document... makes sense
now.  <slightly rueful smile>  Strange that they'd implement that but ignore
last modified data... the joys of AOL.

> Our testing showed we could get to our sites immediately from AOL after the
> patch was applied, from accounts that were only getting the error message
> before that.
[snip]

--
     -- Ed Korthof        |  Web Server Engineer --
     -- ed@organic.com    |  Organic Online, Inc --