httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject AOL, BrowserMatch, allow/deny
Date Mon, 23 Dec 1996 13:19:18 GMT
As I mentioned before, to get a complete solution to AOL we really need an
extra API to parse headers before anything else happens. This would also tidy
up the allow/deny stuff. I'm prepared to ruin my pre-Christmas Eve evening
preparing such a fix if you lot are prepared to let me commit it.

On the question of how to fix AOL (by 1.0 response or by cache busting), I
think we should let the users decided. Although there is a certain pleasure to
be gained by busting AOL's caches, it doesn't really fit with our stated
mission, which is to provide a high-quality, free server.

So, by all means, be rude about AOL, but don't break the Web in vengeance.

Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
Technical Director        URL:
A.L. Digital Ltd,         Apache Group member (