httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Korthof" ...@organic.com>
Subject Re: AOL == problem
Date Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:33:06 GMT
On Dec 19,  5:47pm, Randy Terbush wrote:
> Subject: AOL == problem
>
> Agreed. There is more going on here than just the protocol version
> as near as I can tell. I hacked in code to do a browser match for
> AOL 3.0 and send a HTTP/1.0 response. Still doesn't fix the problem.
>
>-- End of excerpt from Randy Terbush

It has fixed the problem here; that is, after we changed it, we were able to
recieve pages which hadn't been cached.  Pages which AOL had cached remained
unaccessible; I haven't checked yet today.

The only problem with the hack you did is that it doesn't allow authentication,
apparently since the subprocess_env of the request gets clobbered somewhere in
the authorization process.  (I'm working on this now.)

It is no longer sufficient to check for AOL 3.0, however; all versions of AOL
display this behavior, for all platforms (all that we've been able to test, at
least -- multiple versions & platforms for Windows, and several versions for
Mac).  Some versions contain AOL, some contain aol; hopefully there aren't any
with UA strings which contain neither.

Ed

--
     -- Ed Korthof        |  Web Server Engineer --
     -- ed@organic.com    |  Organic Online, Inc --