httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk.vanGulik" <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: language negotiation
Date Mon, 02 Dec 1996 17:17:33 GMT
> From new-httpd-owner@hyperreal.com Mon Dec  2 19:05:28 1996
> Subject: Re: language negotiation
> To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 16:22:41 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
>
> Randy Terbush wrote:
> >

> >> Lots of MSIE lusers are moaning that their language setting is stuck
> >> on "xx" (xx = something other than what IMDb supports) and that they
> >> can't figure out how to change it.
> >>
> >> Is there an Apache config trick that'd allow me to say 'choose English'
> >> if all else fails' ? .. and on a similar theme, choose HTML even if the
> >> stupid browser is sending text/html;q=0  ?
> >>

> >> rob
> >
> >LanguagePriority en it fr
> >
> >Won't Apache then fallback to en?
>
> I don't think so, it only seems to use that to "tiebreak" between equally
> acceptable languages (good idea).

Absolutely correct; I am working on ways to correct this; but do not hold
your breath; URN&URC proxing comes first these days. There are two problems
with the MSIE users; the first one comes from the tie algorithm in their
q-less rq's, the second is related to the fact that the internal_redirect()
in mod_negotiation() zaps the content-language header upon subsequent re-
direct; so you _must_ have some 'en' extension to get a explicit language
(and charset) announcement. :-( I'am preparing a bigger posting on this; but
it is slow going; as Tango, Accent, MSIE and Netscape all seem to be
different (and we have not quite gotten the Alternative/variant reply right :-)

Dw.