httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: vote faster
Date Sun, 01 Dec 1996 19:39:15 GMT
>>12/01 Ben Laurie         Re: vote faster (internal_redirect status problem)
>>  +1 Ben, Roy [though it should be in better C style]
>
> Not sure I followed the reasoning for this one. I'll +1 it if someone can
> provide an example of why the current setup is broken. I have a fear
> that people might be relying on the current behaviour... redirect but keep
> the earlier status.  Maybe not, but what's being fixed ?

An internal redirect which results in a 304 Not Modified being sent to
the client gets logged as a 200, because the final response code of the
redirect is not propagated to the request structure that is logged.
The logfile then lies about the response status, which is not good for
a webmaster trying to diagnose problems or monitor cache hits.

....Roy