httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dgau...@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: AOL == problem
Date Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:30:19 GMT
AOL's caches have never behaved properly.  They don't respect anything
that resembles expiration.  They cache negotiated pages which don't
have Last-Modified: headers.  As far as we can tell their caches are
hardwired to 24 hour expires.  Of course I haven't investigated any of
this in over a year, so I'd be delighted to be told differently.

Why is it that once a company passes a certain size they don't seem to be
able to read standards?  Consider Compuserve and SMTP/MX.  Microsoft and
PPP, DHCP, ip fragmentation.  Netscape and DNS (navigator caches all
multiple are present).

Of course small companies are just as ignorant, but usually easier to find
the person to fix the problem.

Dean