httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.net>
Subject Re: 1.0 responses
Date Sun, 29 Dec 1996 01:16:39 GMT
> Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> >I still think it should be possible for Apache to send 1.0 responses to
> >selected clients. I also think this should be done with BrowserMatch (as should
> >auth). To do this we need to add the "header parse" API. I'm still prepared to
> >produce a patch for this (and I don't even have to ruin an evening to do it).
> >
> >So, how about it, guys?
>
> Do we need/want a new API minutes before 1.2b final ?.
>
> I'd rather we spend weeks/months redesigning an overall API for 2.0
> that attempts to cover everything we need Apache to do. Adding a new
> API with a potentially limited liefspan doesn't excite me.

	I am all for the idea but I am in agreement with Rob that
adding an API in a beta cycle is bad. (Actually Rob says "so close to
final" I say "in the beta cycle at all")

	What kind of timeframe are we looking at for 2.0? I fear that
if 2.0 takes a long time there are various API improvements that
really shouldn't wait, and that will hurt apache's widespread use, I
think.
	I really don't like the idea of 1.3, but maybe it's
necessary. (2.0 and 1.3 development should be in parallel. I am
against any reason to delay 2.0 development.)

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
President					FAX:     510-986-8777