httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r...@imdb.com (Rob Hartill)
Subject Re: APACHE: mod_expires.c improvements (fwd)
Date Fri, 27 Dec 1996 14:52:28 GMT
Andrew Wilson wrote:

>FYI, I've not looked at this.  I dunno about cache-control, perhaps
>someone would like to take a look at it?

It's a big patch. Not for 1.2. Contrib might be a good place for it.

One thing I'm not convinced is a good idea is the way he's replicated
some stuff to implement "Cache-Control: max-age=N" which (I think)
should be able to use the "Expires* Annnn" code. I think Roy or someone
said it was reasonable to pump out both 'Cache-Control' and 'Expires'
so as to stand a better chance of giving the caching end something
it wants to take notice of.

With that in mind, this is probably not an ideal patch.

Perhaps the thing to do is rename mod_expires.c to mod_cache_control.c
and rename the directives so that they are disconnected from the header
names that get pumped out at the end of the day (now and in the future)...

CacheUntil   next wednesday
CacheFor     4 days
CacheNever
CachePrivate