httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "GCC reports error: util_script.c:83: `ARG_MAX' undeclared (first use this function)" on HPUX (fwd)
Date Thu, 26 Dec 1996 18:57:01 GMT

These are probably very sane comments. This late in the beta cycle,
I probably should not have held false hope that ARG_MAX would be
defined for all platforms.  I've added the following to util_script.h
and removed the include for <limits.h>. I'm not attempting to pull in
ARG_MAX if it is there, since I have since discovered that it is
unreasonably huge on some platforms. My first cut of these changes
to this function did a realloc(), but I decided that was unecessarily
complicated for resources that were going to be fairly short lived.

#ifdef _POSIX_ARG_MAX
#define APACHE_ARG_MAX _POSIX_ARG_MAX
#else
#define APACHE_ARG_MAX 512
#endif

> You may actually want to check for both, and pick the one you'd rather
> get to test for first. You can still fall back to a hard limit if neither
> exists:
>
> #ifdef POSIX_ARG_MAX
> # define APACHE_ARG_MAX POSIX_ARG_MAX
> #else
> # ifdef ARG_MAX
> #  define APACHE_ARG_MAX ARG_MAX
> # else
> #  define APACHE_ARG_MAX 60	/* or whatever */
> # endif
> #endif
>
> Ugly, but it would work.
>
> Randy Terbush liltingly intones:
> >
> > I've commited a fix that includes<limits.h> and uses _POSIX_ARG_MAX.
> > We could just as easily hardcode some value here to make this less
> > of a pain. The value of POSIX_ARG_MAX is a more reasonable size.
> >
> > This unfortunately may require a quicker b4 than I had hoped. Comments?
> >

> > > This was reported for Solaris too.
> > >

> > > ----- Forwarded message from pollard@cfcsc.dnd.ca -----

> > > From: pollard@cfcsc.dnd.ca
> > > To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
> > > Date: Wed Dec 25 11:23:09 1996
> > > Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "GCC reports error: util_script.c:83: `ARG_MAX'
undeclared (first use this function)" on HPUX