httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "GCC reports error: util_script.c:83: `ARG_MAX' undeclared (first use this function)" on HPUX (fwd)
Date Thu, 26 Dec 1996 18:13:57 GMT
You may actually want to check for both, and pick the one you'd rather
get to test for first. You can still fall back to a hard limit if neither
exists:

#ifdef POSIX_ARG_MAX
# define APACHE_ARG_MAX POSIX_ARG_MAX
#else
# ifdef ARG_MAX
#  define APACHE_ARG_MAX ARG_MAX
# else
#  define APACHE_ARG_MAX 60	/* or whatever */
# endif
#endif

Ugly, but it would work.

Randy Terbush liltingly intones:

> I've commited a fix that includes<limits.h> and uses _POSIX_ARG_MAX.
> We could just as easily hardcode some value here to make this less
> of a pain. The value of POSIX_ARG_MAX is a more reasonable size.
>
> This unfortunately may require a quicker b4 than I had hoped. Comments?
>

> > This was reported for Solaris too.
> >

> > ----- Forwarded message from pollard@cfcsc.dnd.ca -----

> > From: pollard@cfcsc.dnd.ca
> > To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
> > Date: Wed Dec 25 11:23:09 1996
> > Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "GCC reports error: util_script.c:83: `ARG_MAX' undeclared
(first use this function)" on HPUX

> > Submitter: pollard@cfcsc.dnd.ca
> > Operating system: HPUX, version:
> > Version of Apache Used: 1.22b3
> > Extra Modules used:
> > URL exhibiting problem:
> >
> > Symptoms:
> > --
> > GCC error msg:
> > util_script.c: In function `create_argv':
> > util_script.c:83: `ARG_MAX' undeclared (first use this function)
> > util_script.c:83: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > util_script.c:83: for each function it appears in.)
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Statement in util_script.c at which compiler chokes:
> > 	if ((av = (char **)palloc(r->pool, ARG_MAX)) == NULL)
> >
> > I inserted:
> > #define ARG_MAX 60
> > in util_scrip.c in function create_argv to enable compiler to successfully compile
httpd.
> > --
> >
> > Backtrace:
> > --
> >
> > --
> >
> > ----- End of forwarded message from pollard@cfcsc.dnd.ca -----

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
That secret you've been guarding, isn't.