httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Fear <...@pooh.pageplus.com>
Subject Re: [comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix] Re: SSI & Apache 1.2b2 problems
Date Tue, 24 Dec 1996 15:22:08 GMT

David J N Begley <david@avarice.nepean.uws.edu.au> writes
> Remove the leading space from the include statement.
> <!--#include ...

> What about trailing spaces?  I've noticed some directives don't mind (say,
> "echo" if I recall correctly) whilst others (like if, else and endif) all
> refuse to work without the trailing space.

Randy Terbush replies:
> This has always seemed like a bug to me. Any reason that we could
> not be more forgiving of spaces around these tags?

I'm not sure what this is about.  The following works for me:
    <!--#    if expr    =    "$DOCUMENT_URI"     -->
        Document URI is <!--#    echo var   =    "DOCUMENT_URI"     -->
    <!--#    endif    --><BR>

Unless this refers to spaces around the '--'s.  I'm no SGML expert,
but from 'SGML An Author's Guide', a comment declaration requires
no spaces between the '--'s and the start and close sequences.
Thus <!-- comment --> is legal and <! -- comment -- > is not.
As to spaces before the '#', we could add this, but it would
require some flow rewrite.  Its not as simple as adding a couple
of lines to skip spaces.

Of course, that assumes that we want to continue using SGML comment
declarations for ssi.

--
Howard Fear      email1: howard_fear@pageplus.com
                 email2: howard_fear@redcape.com