httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: AOL, BrowserMatch, allow/deny
Date Mon, 23 Dec 1996 23:23:04 GMT

> Am I missing something here? Surely AOL doesn't cache multiple copies of the
> same response (except on separate proxy machines, perhaps), and they *should*
> be checking the origin server to see if the response has been updated before
> replying with the cached copy, no?
>
> Our testing showed we could get to our sites immediately from AOL after the
> patch was applied, from accounts that were only getting the error message
> before that.

That's not what I found. Seemed that the error message was cached, and
_nothing_ could get the proxy to retry the URL. By request a document
using content_neg, it was possible to cause their cache to flush if
an expire was included with the negotiated document. In many cases,
we simply had to wait out their cache to get them to retry and thus
get the HTTP/1.0 response.