httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: AOL patch
Date Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:55:36 GMT
Brian Behlendorf liltingly intones:

> Ed seemed to indicate that even if mod_browser is put in the Configuration file
> before mod_auth_*, the auth modules would still act first because of where in
> the API they each act.  Ed asked if changing the place where mod_browser
> was called would cause problems, and no one responded with an answer.  If the
> below patch can do it in that case, then it's the path I support.

I support a mechanism like Rob's, which forces AOL not to cache
a cached message, and my management wants that to stop *now*.

It is way too difficult to explain to an AOL customer how to get around the
caching, even though Randy has shown it can be done.

Anyone adding the patch won't see results from folks who have failed to reach
them until AOL's proxy caches expire. That time seems to be 4-5 days, and I
think we cannot rely on AOL to clean their caches for us.

I assume the patch will fix the authorization problem. If Ed's patch can
also support forcing AOL not to cache, I can support that.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than forgiveness for
being right.