httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r...@imdb.com (Rob Hartill)
Subject Re: BrowserMatch (was Re: AOL patch)
Date Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:11:19 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

>You know, I've been thinking (a novel thing)... Maybe we should NOT
>go to all this trouble hacking around AOL's mistake. If there's a
>solution, even if it is ugly, and people start using it, it
>reduces the strain to AOL to fix it.

Some of us have no choice, we can't wait for AOL to see the light.

>I would prefer doing what we can to keep their feet to the fire about this.

I'm sure we're all in agreement on that.

I've sent details of my patch to George and his pals and asked them if
I should release it or wait for the AOL fix. Note that I made it clear
that I was not acting on behalf of Apache Group.

Having worthless overloaded proxy servers sounds like incentive enough
for them to fix it, especially if they work out that most people will
not undo the hack once it is in place.

rob