httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: BrowserMatch (was Re: AOL patch)
Date Sun, 22 Dec 1996 22:35:57 GMT
Jim Jagielski liltingly intones:

> Ed Korthof wrote:
> >
> > As for what to check w/ BrowserMatch, I would advise looking for "AOL" as
> > well as "aol".  I've only seen the latter as part of "aolbrowser", so it
> > might be safer to search for that, but we're currently just checking "AOL"
> > and "aol".
> >

> You know, I've been thinking (a novel thing)... Maybe we should NOT
> go to all this trouble hacking around AOL's mistake. If there's a
> solution, even if it is ugly, and people start using it, it
> reduces the strain to AOL to fix it. I would prefer doing what
> we can to keep their feet to the fire about this.
>
> Comments?

The way RobH's patch works, I'd say they'd see their already unimpressive
response times go down the 'loo. It's kind of like bringing a hot iron to
their feet, as opposed to keeping their feet in the fire. 8^)

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its
fascination.  When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be
popular.
		-- Oscar Wilde