httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 header problem (fwd)
Date Sat, 21 Dec 1996 05:38:19 GMT

> Duh...
>
> stuborn fools.

> And our proxy is responding with an error as even the 1.1 spec allows.
>
> http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-07.txt
> <<
> Since the protocol version indicates the protocol capability of the sender, a
> proxy/gateway MUST never send a message with a version indicator which is
> greater than its actual version; if a higher version request is received, the
> proxy/gateway MUST either downgrade the request version, respond with an
> error, or switch to tunnel behavior.

This paragraph quoted by AOL says it all if I am reading this properly....

"The protocol version indicates the protocol capability of the sender"

All the rest of it is saying is that if a 1.0 proxy receives a request
from a 1.1 client, the proxy MUST downgrade it's request to the server
to a 1.0 request.  (ie. It cannot represent itself as the 1.1 client.)

> In the spirit of making things work, our development team will work on
> a way to
> downgrade HTTP/1.1 requests and responses to HTTP/1.0. Until then, would you
> folks consider having your server respond to HTTP/1.0 requests with HTTP/1.0
> replies?

I say "absolutely not". We would no longer be a 1.1 compliant server if
we made this change. Secondly, What client is sending 1.1 requests to
their proxies that they have to worry about downgrading?

> Looking forward to your reply. We certainly want the AOL web access service to
> work with the apache server. Please don't listen to those few who yell at AOL
> for all of our screwups in the past and future. We generally had a reason for
> most of them; it is really difficult to run a reliable service for this many
> people.
>
> George

Uh yeah. Especially difficult when you rewrite the communication protocols.