httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: announce mail
Date Sat, 21 Dec 1996 05:06:41 GMT
I've sent a measured response to George Boyce in response to his posting on
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix:

The point is, by section 3.1 of HTTP/1.0, aka RFC 1945, senders are
to use the version number to advertise capability, not as some kind of
clunky handshake mechanism. This is the same language used in the
HTTP/1.1 draft spec. The sender *also* has the responsibility to send a
message which is palatable to the version of receiver it's replying to.
We don't see Netscape or MSIE blowing up on the messages sent by Apache.
Perhaps they are not HTTP/1.0 compliant?

AOL has blocked both HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/0.9 messages. Yet they will not
admit that either of these actions violates the HTTP specs.

The version number of HTTP messages was intended as a mechanism to
provide a smooth protocol upgrade path, without running into the
chicken-and-egg situation of whether to upgrade clients or servers
first. Failure to implement *and* stick to such a mechanism has kept
high definition television from being deployed for nearly 20 years now.
Do we really want the Web to go the same route?

George Boyce wrote:

(Chuck: same response we saw here earlier)

Randy Terbush liltingly intones:

> Ummm. As much as I would like to get a few licks in, I would prefer
> to start the discussion with these chaps. I think we can see what
> happens with regard to making a _convincing_ argument first.
>

> > What about sending mail to the announce list asking that people who use
> > 1.2 and are opposed to AOL's action (going out of their way to break
> > something that worked fine) to mail AOL to say that they have no intention
> > of hobbling their server just to serve AOL users, and if it means losing
> > AOL users, then so be it.
> >
> > At the moment there's just a trickle of complaints from server operators.
> > A flood might do the trick.
> >
> >    "web-support@aol.net"  seems to be the appropriate address to
> > send it to.
> >
> > It's late here, but if that's okay with people can someone draft a message.
> > If it needs feeding into the announce list I'll do it later today (Sat).
> >
> > rob

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more useful
than the sun."  "Why?", he was asked.  "Because at night we need the
light more."