httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 header problem (fwd)
Date Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:42:12 GMT
> sameer wrote:
>
> >	Isn't Roy our local HTTP cop? What does Roy have to say? I
> >hope he isn't on vacation or something.
>
> He's on vacation in New Zealand I think, but when he was here he
> made it quite clear that a 1.1 version number was correct in response to
> a 1.0 request when the server was 1.1

Agreed. I distinctly remember this debate.

Secondly, what does a 1.0 client have to lose by accepting the
reponse from a 1.1 server?  Nothing. Instead, they have everything
to gain since allowing the server to identify itself could allow
a client to masquerade as either. Refusing to accept a response
from a 1.1 server is just plain stupid. It's a minor version number
difference.