httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r...@imdb.com (Rob Hartill)
Subject Re: Document describing AOL problems
Date Sat, 21 Dec 1996 03:03:57 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>> > Randy and I have written a document detailing the AOL problems.  I intend to
>> > send notification of this document to www-talk and http-wg, in addition to some
>> > contacts at HotWired, and posting it on the Apache web site.  Others here have
>> > press contacts they may want to exercise.  I'd like some comments upon the
>> > document before we send it, however;  please respond by 4pm PST if you can,
>> > I'll take the comments and send it out around 5pm.
>>
>> I'd like to see the actual BrowserMatch "code" included...
>
>The right solution is still being formulated by Ed and Randy, one which
>involves as little apache code manipulation as possible and yet doesn't affect
>any other features.  When we get that working it can be posted.  Perhaps we can
>mention we're working on a fix, but I really would want it to only exist as a
>patch and not as a part of the core code.

Can the patch be adapted so that the response is 1.0 but also feeds their
proxy something that makes its life a misery.. without affecting the end
user ?

prehaps redirect all the bogus AOL proxy connections to an ever changing
URL for the same resource so that the proxy can't cache the stuff ?
hmmm, there might be a use for the "///" bug there :-)

Or perhaps find a way to intercept the requests and send the AOL user
a HTTP/1.0 response that tells them AOL are really to blame and to
switch their proxy off.... that'd piss the proxy people off.

rob