httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <>
Subject The debate begins in HTTP-WG
Date Fri, 20 Dec 1996 23:26:22 GMT

This just fired up in HTTP-WG. Could someone on our list that
is known in this group please state our case?

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:56:27 -0800 (PST)
From: "M. Hedlund" <>
To: Dave Kristol <>
Subject: Re: HTTP response version, again

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Dave Kristol wrote:
> I still consider the question unresolved as to what version an HTTP/1.x
> server should return for an HTTP/1.0 request.
> Case 1 (return HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.0 request):
> Case 2 (return HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/1.0 request):

I agree with Dave that Case 1 is preferable.  AOL's proxies apparently
started giving users errors this week when a new version of Apache was
released, which responded to 1.0 requests with 1.1 responses (Case 2).
While this instance will likely be fixed next week, it does indicate how an
HTTP/1.0 client can be confused by an HTTP/1.1 response.

Marc Hedlund <>

------- End of Forwarded Message

View raw message