httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject apache (1.2b2 and others) & info module (fwd)
Date Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:28:36 GMT

I'm cleaning out my mailbox (it's been a busy week, again).

I either missed this the first time or forgot to delete it after forwarding.

----- Forwarded message from WWW server manager -----

From: WWW server manager <webadm@info.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: apache (1.2b2 and others) & info module
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:12:36 +0000 (GMT)

Earlier today, I requested the info module's summary from my web server
(Apache 1.1.1) with the intention of checking my configurable logging module
configuration to give the details to a colleague - it was the easy way as he
was running Netscape and it should have been quicker than logging on to the
server from his PC. However, neither that server nor my test server (then
V1.2b1, now 1.2b2) showed the information. For most - but not all - the
sections in the info module's output, the "Current Configuration" section is
empty!

(I hadn't noticed before, but this time I was looking for something
specific...)

I haven't scouted around in the source to find the explanation, but guess that
it may require the individual modules to save their configuration details in
some appropriate place - and if so, it looks like most of them don't do that,
yet.

Whatever the reasons,

 * is this absence of information expected? [I presume so, or surely someone
   would have noticed...?]
 * is it likely that it will be "fixed" soon, in the sense of all (standard,
   distributed with Apache, at least) modules saving their config information
   for display?
 * especially if the configuration details for the standard modules won't be
   available through the info module for a while, but in general since other
   modules may not bother saving the information, is it possible (and would
   it be worthwhile anyway?) to distinguish the cases "module running with
   default configuration, nothing configured explicitly" and "module
   configuration unknown"? Probably not practical if it would mean changes
   to the modules, but I'm wondering if it's possible at present to distinguish
   those cases (e.g. if modules in default state that *do* save their
   config commands for display would have an explicit, empty command list
   stored in the appropriate place, whereas modules that do not save anything
   would have a null pointer instead of the list; or whatever).

                                John Line
--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to webmaster@ucs.cam.ac.uk

----- End of forwarded message from WWW server manager -----