httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.net>
Subject Re: Crypto Victory
Date Thu, 19 Dec 1996 20:19:42 GMT
> Given that ruling, it looks like we could distribute SSL with the standard
> Apache distribution.  They specifically said that binaries weren't covered,
> so if we stayed away from distributing pre-compiled binaries we would be fine.

	Unfortunately we don't really know if that's the
case. hyperreal is in the 9th district, so that does help though.

	My understanding (IANAL) is that because this was not an
appellate decision, Patel's ruling only applies to Bernstein and
Patel's courtroom. Once the 9th circuit appellate court upholds
patel's ruling, can apache integrate ssl hooks.
	The new crypto regs invalidate all of patel's rulings anyway
though, because it's a new law, and patel said the old law was
unconstitutional, not the new law. It will take another case to get
the new law struck down. (How's that for slimey government?)

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
President					FAX:     510-986-8777