httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "sockets left in FIN_WAIT_2 lingering state" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Thu, 19 Dec 1996 19:37:05 GMT
Rob Hartill liltingly intones:

> Chuck Murcko wrote:
> >
> >Rob Hartill liltingly intones:
> >>

> >> Is this documented ?
> >>
> >Not yet, AFAIK. I will do it later today.
>
> Can this bring down a server ?. I can see lots of these via netstat -a
> and one of my machines just died.
>
> Is netstat supposed to die with "netstat: kvm_read: Bad address" on
> occasions ?, if not, what's the most likely cause ?
>

> On a related note, what kernel config settings do I need to adjust
> to keep a FreeBSD box happy as a webserver ?

I think I will be writing the docs below. 8^)

Answer to first question is, yes, eventually. A connection stuck in FIN_WAIT_2
means its mbufs/mbuf_clusters(if system has the second) are not freed yet.
Eventually the machine either gets kvm-starved (like SunOS will) or runs
out of allocated non-kernel memory or list entries for mbuf_clusters.
Without being able to timeout FIN_WAIT_2, like Solaris 2.5+ seems to, the
only 'stable' recourse is to allocate a ton of mbufs/mbuf_clusters, and
restart the machine or, if you can, the TCP stack (IRIX allows this)
periodically. Otherwise you get the odd machine panic.

We have a couple of 256 Mb and rather more of 64 Mb BSDI boxen here as
httpd machines, and we use kernel configs similar to the following:
(only the relevant lines included)

maxusers        256	# drives a lot of formulae in /usr/src/sys/conf/param.c

# Network options.  NMBCLUSTERS defines the number of mbufs and defaults to
# 256.  This machine is a gateway that handles lots of traffic, so we boost
# that value.
options         SOMAXCONN=256           # max pending connects
options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096        # clusters to spare(maybe)!

# Misc. options

options         CHILD_MAX=1536          # maximum number of child processes
options         OPEN_MAX=1536           # maximum open fds (breaks RPC svcs)
options         "KMAPENTRIES=1000"      # need more vm_map_entries

Note: It's KMAPENTRIES for BSDI, MAX_KMAPENT for FreeBSD.

I actually set CHILD_MAX and OPEN_MAX down from what the maxusers value
would cause them to be set for.

This is from a 256 Mb Pentium box intended to eventually run 1024 as a
HARD_SERVER_LIMIT. Currently is running at 512. So far, the max I've seen
running is around 300.

Size of an mbuf_cluster in 4.4lite BSD is 16 kB. So, it's a compromise
as to where you want to set that value. Remember, you're sacrificing
RAM that could be running user procs by bumping it up.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
... and furthermore ... I don't like your trousers.