httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: listen, select, etc.
Date Tue, 17 Dec 1996 02:47:58 GMT
sameer wrote:

>	I'd like approval before committing the following. I have
>learned the following about select() on FreeBSD.

I've no problem with you adding this, assuming it's right :-)

>+ FreeBSD prior to 2.2 had a default limit for the number of descriptors
>+ one could select() over as 256. In order to increase that limit you
>+ would have to recompile the kernel and set FD_SETSIZE to a larger
>+ value, and make sure that FD_SETSIZE is set to that same large value
>+ when you compile Apache. FreeBSD after 2.2 has no default limit in the
>+ kernel, but you still need to make sure you set FD_SETSIZE to a larger
>+ number when compiling Apache so that the header files define the right
>+ sizes for the fd_set data structures that get passed to
>+ <CODE>select()</CODE><P>

Mmmm, I compile Apache on my home FreeBSD box and upload it to
other FreeBSD machines. What should I be looking for ?. I think you
need to spell it out for us thickos  :-)

How many descriptors per httpd child does Apache "select over" ?

--
Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/