httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Apache documentation oversight (fwd)
Date Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:29:17 GMT
----- Forwarded message from WWW server manager -----

From: WWW server manager <>
Subject: Apache documentation oversight
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:35:27 +0000 (GMT)

I've been trying to use ErrorDocument in .htaccess, and Apache (V1.1.1) refused
to recognise it as valid and I could see no mention in the documentation (e.g.
of any pre-requisites for using it in .htaccess.

I eventually had the bright idea of looking at the 1.1 new features document
which mentions that it's available in .htaccess "when the FileInfo directive
has been set on". Trivia aside (I wouldn't call FileInfo a directive, it's an
option on AllowOverride...), that's the only mention I could find that
AllowOverride FileInfo (or e.g. All) was needed before using ErrorDocument in

That detail iss not mentioned in, I also note
that the use of %s to insert additional details is mentioned there but *not* in
the primary (I presume) documentation in core.html. The core.html section about
ErrorDocument lacks the "Override" "header" which is seen for (at least some
of) the other directives which need to be enabled explicitly in .htaccess.
[Mmm... do *all* .htaccess entries need to be enabled by one AllowOverride
option or another, or are any directives always available there?]

Finally, I should mention that the AllowOverride section of core.html does not
mention ErrorDocument as something controlled by FileInfo (and FileInfo is
hardly an obvious thing to control handling of error messages, when its other
uses - controlling encoding/type and language settings - seem totally

It may be worth checking that other facilities which were relatively recently
added to the set allowed in .htaccess have appropriate notes of the required
override controls, and that they are mentioned in the appropriate section in
the description of AllowOverride.

                                John Line
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)
Send general WWW-related enquiries to

----- End of forwarded message from WWW server manager -----

Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.

View raw message