httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "many http connections in FIN_WAIT_2 state" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Fri, 13 Dec 1996 18:52:13 GMT
Ed Korthof liltingly intones:

> Yeah, what he said -- KeepAlives should remain in the ESTABLISHED state.
> We see a bunch of connections in FIN_WAIT_2 (Brian mentioned this a week
> or two ago).  TIME_WAIT is a safe state, no?  (A netstat -a produced 771
> of those and 174 FIN_WAIT_2's.) -- that is, Solaris knows to shut it
> down...

TIME_WAIT has a 2MSL timeout, so they'll at least go away, eventually.
That is, in 1 to 4 minutes, since TCP implementations set MSL to 1/2,
1 or 2 minutes, depending on the implementation.

> Anyone know if/how we can put a time-out on FIN_WAIT_2 on Solaris
> 2.5/SunOS 5.5.1?

Ndd has a parameter tcp_fin_wait_2_flush_interval. That may do it. That
defaults to 675000 in 2.5. If that's seconds, that's a long time. 8^)

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Bore, n.:
	A guy who wraps up a two-minute idea in a two-hour vocabulary.
		-- Walter Winchell