httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Bloating: Apache is best!!!
Date Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:08:16 GMT
Hi,

A colleague of mine claimed that the commercial Netscape Server is

    a) unable to do virtual web hosting with just one main process and
       just one configuration file (needs one per server process) and

    b) unable to do virtual web hosting using only one IP address (&
       port).

If this is in fact true, then we should "market" this: It's certainly
an argument for Web Server administrators to switch over to Apache!

(I have tried it on one of our hosts which has an A and a CNAME record:
works wunderfully!)

At the moment, statistics show that Apache is leading and growing, but
it only does so at the expense of NCSA and CERN, not of Netscape or
Microsoft.

Just a thought....
    Martin