httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "server hangs frequently" on NeXT (fwd)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 1996 01:49:44 GMT
------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

Subject: Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "server hangs frequently" on NeXT (fwd)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:49:44 -0600
From: Randy Terbush <>

Looks like the waitpid() that Apache is supplying may not be
sophisticated enough to be used in this new code. You might
try changing the #if at L967 of http_main.c to 0, or at the
very least, pull the wait_or_timeout() function out of the
section below.

This looks like some of Ben's code. Perhaps he could comment
on it. I quickly glanced at the FreeBSD code to see if I could
find a better waitpid() but struck out.

> ----- Forwarded message from Geoffrey T. Falk -----
> From: "Geoffrey T. Falk" <>
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 19:07:57 -0500
> To: Rob Hartill <>
> Subject: Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "server hangs frequently" on NeXT
> Rob,
> This relates to my earlier bug report. I have made some more progress in
> analyzing the problem.
> The child processes seem to be dying. When they are all dead, the server
> cannot respond to requests.
> According to GDB, the parent process gets stuck in a loop, in the function
> wait_or_timeout(). It is waiting for a valid return value from waitpid()
> (file http_main.c line 973). However this keeps returning -1, even if there
> are connection requests. I looked at the code for waitpid() in util.c. It is
> returning failure because there are no children left.
> I have no idea why the children are dying off. As a workaround, I have
> written a program to periodically check to see if the server is responding;
> and if not, send it a HUP. (Graceful restarts have their own problems).
> I am not compiling with any unusual options except -DNEXT.
> Please help me fix this bug. It is a critical problem.
> Thanks
> g.
> ----- End of forwarded message from Geoffrey T. Falk -----
> --
> Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy

View raw message