httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "server hangs frequently" on NeXT (fwd)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 1996 00:56:31 GMT
----- Forwarded message from Geoffrey T. Falk -----

From: "Geoffrey T. Falk" <gtf@cirp.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 96 19:07:57 -0500
To: Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
Subject: Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "server hangs frequently" on NeXT

Rob,

This relates to my earlier bug report. I have made some more progress in
analyzing the problem.

The child processes seem to be dying. When they are all dead, the server
cannot respond to requests.

According to GDB, the parent process gets stuck in a loop, in the function
wait_or_timeout(). It is waiting for a valid return value from waitpid()
(file http_main.c line 973). However this keeps returning -1, even if there
are connection requests. I looked at the code for waitpid() in util.c. It is
returning failure because there are no children left.

I have no idea why the children are dying off. As a workaround, I have
written a program to periodically check to see if the server is responding;
and if not, send it a HUP. (Graceful restarts have their own problems).

I am not compiling with any unusual options except -DNEXT.

Please help me fix this bug. It is a critical problem.

Thanks
g.

----- End of forwarded message from Geoffrey T. Falk -----

--