httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src Configure (fwd)
Date Wed, 11 Dec 1996 00:41:39 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Paul Ginsparg 505-667-7353 wrote:
>> > Didn't you find that -Ae wasn't allowed any more ?
>>
>> that's right, in the brand new latest version of the hp compiler
>> (and i checked a few times with HP to make sure), there's no more -Ae,
>> instead it's -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE as you already had it i think...
>
>Oh this is such nonsense, the fact that we can't get reliable information even
>from someone at hp.com.  Okay, I'll flip it back, and set it for 9.x as well.

Paul told me that when he first tried -Ae and it barfed he called HP's
support line and they were convinced that the compiler (which HP installed
before shipping) hadn't been installed at all. It took them a while to
find out the -Ae had gone.

Not sure if it translates to American English but we call this "shifting
the goalposts"...  a HP speciality.

rob