httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: r->status = new->status;
Date Tue, 10 Dec 1996 23:08:24 GMT
Bad Boy Rob:
> I didn't get any response on this last time, so here goes again..
>
> A last minute 1.1 -> 1.2b1 patch from Ben (which I +1'ed) needs to be
> removed.
>
> The reason for having it was to get internally redirected requests
> logged with the final status value instead of the original one (e.g.
> after ErrorDocument has come to the rescue and sent out a 200 OK).
>
> The last minute change breaks mod_log_config.c, which if you check,
> has options to log the final status anyway. So this "fix" is redundant
> and it hardcodes Apache's behaviour and prevents reconfiguration.
>
> If it is important that Apache logs the same status as the client sees
> (which is reasonable considering the complexity^H^H^H^H^Hsophistication
> of Apache configs these days - lots of internal redirects doing lots of
> tricks), then all that's needed is to adjust the default log format string.

I think it would be a good idea if Apache's status as logged was
the same as was sent to the client.  I don't think there's any other
interpretation of return status that would be acceptible to the
Nbillion people using CLF.

What is the 'before' and 'after' for the default log format string,
to accomodate this change?  Would each of the Nbillion users need
to edit their .conf files accordingly?

> This is a new bug IMO.  Vote for the patches spearately if necessary.

Ay.