httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: auto-updated apache docs on wbesite
Date Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:52:23 GMT
[.htaccess file appears in htdocs/manual ...]

> I'm not too happy with the way things are heading here. The .htaccess
> looks fairly innocuous but please remember that ./htdocs/manual is
> *NOT* the hyperreal web site area, it's the distributed
> documentation. Anything required to make the hyperreal server work
> should go into /export/pub/apache/manual not into our cvs tree.
>
> We can put all sorts of extra stuff into /export/pub/apache/* and stop
> it getting into cvs with a .cvsignore file and in any case, we should
> never check anything in from there anyway.
>
> The cron job should be removed. We should update the site when we're
> ready too not automatically from some cron job. This is a work area not
> a web site, we may spend a few days upgrading documentation and you
> don't want that being displayed on hyperreal. I haven't looked at the
> cronjob but I suspect it's simplying doing a cvs update which will be
> pretty bad when the release is made and we branch.
>
> I think the .htaccess file should be removed from cvs.

I agree.  There's no way I'd want the entire CVS repository on my
webserver (albeit hidden by a clever .htaccess).  The .htaccess
file seems to be there to allow people to just blindly copy the
CVS distribution onto their own webspace and have it work.  It's
likely that the CVS docs tree could, in the future, contain additional
files (m4 macros, perl munging scrips, developer's documentation
notes whatever...) and these would never normally be published.

>   Paul Richards.

Ay.