httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Forwarded: [Re: Another Configure patch]
Date Sat, 07 Dec 1996 21:38:56 GMT
rasmus@vex.net wrote:

> > As far as 'Y' vs 'yes'... that seems like fluff to me, but I
> > vote '0' on it. The instructions seem pretty specific that
> > Rules should be yes, no or default. If there is some unclearness,
> > we should fix the docs. The below patch, after all, allows for
> > yes, YEP, yellow and Yessirreebob to all map to "yes", which
> > doesn't seem quite right.
>
> You can fix the docs until you are blue in the face.  There will always be
> people that just fly right through and assume that 'y' and 'n' indicate
> yes and no.  Having to actually type out the word seems like pointless
> nit-picking.  Especially since there is no error checking on it.  If you
> want to restrict people to only put "yes", "no" or "default" then you
> should scream if they have put "y" there instead since it is obviously
> invalid.

Whatever... Whatever we do, we should be consistant. Do we do
similar things for configuration (httpd.conf) options? If we
make [Yy].* -> yes and [Nn].* -> no, we should have [Dd].* ->
default.

How about those who prefer True and False. Or On and Off? Should
we accomodate them?

Just being a devil's advocate.

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"