httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Proposal: <!--#if operator change
Date Fri, 06 Dec 1996 13:35:52 GMT
Hello,

I'm new to this list, so bear with me if this has been discussed before:
The operator list for <!--#if ...--> is not very large (yet).
Actually, all I see is just "=" and "!=".

My proposal would be to (adopt the {t,}csh style and use "==" and "!="
and later on add the pattern-match comparison operators =~ and !~

Why I propose == over = (and ~= over ~) is a matter of intuitivity.

Why I propose the pattern match operators at all is that I'd wish I
could switch between html-code for frame-capable browsers and  html-code
for frame-incapable browsers easily from a server-parsed html document.

like...
    <!--#if expr="$HTTP_USER_AGENT !~ Mozilla*" -->
	<TABLE>
	</TABLE>
    <!--#else -->
	<PRE>
	</PRE>
    <!--#endif -->

I could not test how the BrowserMatch interacts with the #if statements
and how it is supposed to work at all because any BrowserMatch statement
(including the one from the conf/httpd.conf-dist) result in a error
message "Browser regex could not be compiled."

(a sentence about what variables are meant to be substituted into the
<!--#if expr="$a..." --> would have been valuable -- is it the
environment variables that BrowserMatch is supposed to set? Or does
apache know its own variables?

I hope you know a shorter answer than my question is... ;-)

    Martin