httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Configure fails on OSF/1 V2.0" on (fwd)
Date Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:54:09 GMT
----- Forwarded message from Sftwr Dvlp -----

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 15:26:00 -0500
To: Paul Richards <>
From: Sftwr Dvlp <>
Subject: Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Configure fails on OSF/1 V2.0" on

At 05:58 PM 12/4/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Rob Hartill <> writes:
>> Hmm, very strange.
>> I'll forward the info to the developers list.
>> >Symptoms:
>> >--
>> >The following results from an attempt to run
>> >Configure.  I've tried it on two OSF/1 boxes with
>> >lots o' available memory.
>> >
>> >Using 'Configuration' as config file
>> > + configured for DEC OSF/1 platform
>> >swap space below 10 percent free
>> >Unable to obtain requested swap space
>> >Unable to obtain requested swap space
>A stab in the dark. Is this person using a swap file mounted on an
>ordinary filesystem which is almost full?
>Some VM systems allocate swap to pages even if there's lots of
>free memory. If OSF is such a system and he's also making use of an
>additional swap file mounted on a ufs partition then that might cause
>the above to happen. If he wants help debugging this then the output
>of df and swapinfo (or the OSF equivalent) would be the first step.
>In any case, it's *extremely* unlikely that this is an Apache bug.

No additional swap file here.  It's a good point though and might explain
some of my problems with other software. :)

In the case of Apache, however, it seems that there may be yet another
oddity in our OSF/1 2.0.  I tracked down the cause of my problem to the
"PrintPath" helper script.  I've included a version that works on both
of the alphas I tested on.  An additional nicety would be if the cc flag
-std1 was used on OSF/1 since at least one source file uses ANSI style
#if directives which OSF/1 wants this flag for.

-------- PrintPath --------

# Look for $1 somewhere in $PATH
#  will print out the full pathname unless
#  called with the '-s' option

if [ $1 = "-s" ]; then

for path in `echo $PATH |
 sed 's/^:/.:/
      s/:/ /g' `
    if [ -x $path/$1 ]; then
        # Changed below from attempting to "eval # x/y" due to an apparent
        # problem in OSF/1 that would cause sh to grow to consume all
        # available memory when evaluating the resulting comment.  On a
        # test alpha the size of sh grew to about 181 MB according to "top".
        if [ "$echo" != "#" ]; then
      	  eval $echo $path/$1
	exit 0
exit 1
Rob Kreamer                                *
(Vaxxinated) Software Development Manager  *
Internet Service From the Friendly Folks at
Vaxxine Computer Systems <> (905) 562-3500
Niagara Region, Ontario, CANADA

----- End of forwarded message from Sftwr Dvlp -----

View raw message