httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Not quite a bug, but a feature request... (fwd)
Date Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:02:34 GMT

Not acked.

----- Forwarded message from Matthew Zahorik -----

Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 13:59:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Matthew Zahorik <>
Subject: Not quite a bug, but a feature request...

Hola (:

  I'd like to know if there is a workaround for the following problem.

  I'd like virtual servers *not* to inherit certain attributes from the
main server.  Specifically, ScriptAlias'd directories.

  I use CGIWrap, and have hacked Apache to deny all CGI scripts outside
of ScriptAliased directories.

  Using Actions, all files ending in .cgi, .pl, or .sh are given
to /cgi-wrap/cgiwrap, which then executes the CGI script.

  This allows us to track and limit CGI usage, and give each user the
ability to freely write scripts.

  The problem comes when we use virtual servers on the same server.

  The URL

  Causes Apache to follow the host's ScriptAlias to

  Adding a ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin/ under
the virtual server allows scripts to be run without CGIWrap, since the
code lets anything in a ScriptAliased directory run without CGIWrap.

  I tried doing:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/lib/httpd/cgi-bin/

...blah, no scriptalises..

  Which worked with any HTTP/1.1 compliant browser, but was ignored by
pre-1.1 browsers. (AOL, Prodigy, etc)

  So, what I'd like to know and/or see is something like this:

In srm.conf:

<Inheritence None>
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/lib/httpd/cgi-bin/

In httpd.conf

Delete ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ NULL

Or somesuch, to eliminate rather than override a setting.

Thank you in advance!

- Matt

Matthew Zahorik /|\       Offering the finest connectivity in Albany.
AlbanyNet      //|\\   Voice:  1 (518) 462 6262    Albany: 1 (518) 242-1111   |   Saratoga: 1 (518) 245-1111 Amsterdam: 1 (518) 246-1111
 Info: Sales: W^3:

----- End of forwarded message from Matthew Zahorik -----

Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.

View raw message