httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: More docs fun....
Date Wed, 20 Nov 1996 18:58:43 GMT
On 20 Nov 1996, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Paul> I've considered writing an install target, anyone agree?
> Paul> Desirable for 1.2 or not?
>
> I've never understood why Apache wants to be built in its final
> install directory.  It seems really weird.
>
> Our version has an install target.  We also distribute an
> "install-apache" script that sets up a default server configuration.
> It does what was suggested here -- it sets up the Apache manual as the
> default content.  It also creates a short "apache" script that can be
> used to stop/start the server (eg "apache start" or "apache stop").
>
> I can send the install-apache script to anybody who is interested.
> Parts of it are probably particular to our environment, but it might
> still be useful.

I guess the big question for me is, where is the docroot?  Under /usr/local/etc
still?  I haven't had my docroots there for years, they've either been a user
home directory (~www) or on its own disk partition (/www, etc).  I suppose that
can be a question during an interactive install, or part of the Configuration
file.  If that's the case, "make install" should probably install the docs
*only* if this is a brand new install.

	Brian