httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Docs
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:09:03 GMT
On 18 Nov 1996, Paul Richards wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com> writes:
>
> > which will get pushed to the live server.  Set up the systems and show us all
> > how.  But you *must* carry this through - we've had two shifts in structure
> > because of personal beliefs and "I'm a CVS whiz, this can all be done in CVS"
> > arrogance which is really pissing me off.  Paul, if you're going to be pulling
> > stunts like this, either take ownership of this situation, or stay out of the
> > way.
>
> This sort of attitude isn't appreciated. I've never made any such
> arrogant comments.

I don't appreciate having that attitude - it's causing me stress and grief I
don't need.  But there are a couple facts you need to be aware of and respect:

  1) Not everyone here knows CVS like the back of their hand.  There is a
minimum that people should know to work on code, of course, but to require that
folks know how to do things like branch off an earlier tagged base (if we had
to edit docs for 1.0 for example) is asking a bit much.  At least, this was my
interpretaion of the consensus of the list.

  2) There are several of us (myself, Sameer, Laurel, Alexei, and I'm sure
others) who want to do a shitload of doc work, but when the ground keeps moving
underneath us it saps all ability to know that work we do will actually get
implemented.  It's not so much that I have a firm belief that docs should go
one place or another, it's that a few weeks ago we set about in a particular
direction, and just as I'm confident it's in a stable place it changes again,
and for reasons which to me seem to add no tangible benefits.

If it's current situation is stable, and we can start going in and editing and
"cvs commit"'ing away, great.  Is that the case?

> I am going to take charge of the docs situation,
> expect a commit of a working system later today.

Thank you.

	Brian