httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: Proxy patch - Attempt #2
Date Mon, 18 Nov 1996 18:40:14 GMT
On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 wrote:
> > Hasn't netscape stated they will be dropping this "feature"?  Or was
> > I just reading some root-64/alternic babble where they were *hoping*
> > the "feature" would be dropped so that their anarchistic attempt
> > to form new top-level domains would gain a hair more credibility than
> > it has now.
> Microsoft had the feature at some point, but decided to drop it.
> I haven't read whether or not Netscape is planning on dropping it.
> I am not convinced either way whether it is a good feature or not.
> I don't think it is harmful or dangerous in any way though, and people
> have asked for it, so in the spirit of Apache, I thought it would be a
> user-friendly thing to add.  If that's not the concensus, no problem.
> We can drop it.

My personal opinion is that it should at least be made a runtime configurable
option in the proxy, or dropped altogether.  I think that kind of behavior
prevents opening up of new top-level domains, as well as deprecating the use of
.net, .org, .edu, etc.  It's a regressive act in my opinion.

View raw message