httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject proxy not sending "Via:" header..?
Date Thu, 14 Nov 1996 07:58:40 GMT

My understanding, perhaps incorrect, was that proxy servers should send a Via:
header when they relay a request, i.e.

Via: Apache/1.2

or something like that, other than the conventional way which is to tack it
onto the User-Agent header.  Apache doesn't seem to do that; which worries me,
as apparently there's nothing in proxy requests which distinguish them from
direct connections, and thus any attempt I as a server maintainer or statistics
gatherer might try to do to tell how many requests are coming to me via a proxy
server are somewhat thwarted.  On the other hand, for privacy or "equality of
content" reasons it might be best to make the proxy as transparant as
possible.  Thoughts?

	Brian

correction: I do see the proxy sending along a "Proxy-Connection:" header as a
distinguishing characteristic, but not much else.