httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Documentation
Date Sun, 03 Nov 1996 22:11:11 GMT
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > I'm concerned about exactly how this works - if I commit a change,
> > does it update the documents in the www.apache.org document root as
> > well? If not, how do those docs get updated, since that is, after all,
> > the point of the exercise (to maintain the docs on the web page).
>
> I would have thought that the correct thing to do is to release the docs
> periodically. Alternatively we can have a snapshot system, much like the
> current Apache snapshot, only not tarred up!
>
> Or even both.
>
> Of course, this is one good argument for having a completely separate
> repository for the docs, since they would doubtless be released asynchronously
> with the code.

My thoughts:

1) There's not a requirement, in my mind, for holding changes in the doc trees
for a long amount of time; meaning, I would be comfortable if the docs were
pointed at a reflection of the CVS tree.

2) Updates every 6-hours are alright, but ideally there's a "button" one could
push when they've committed a change which pushes a new reflection out.

3) We should avoid having any CVS gunk in the live site.

	Brian