httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: 1.2beta release... Let set a timeline
Date Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:06:59 GMT
On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> It seems to me that a code freeze for new features (with the possible
> exception of the suexec stuff) is in order... All that appears to
> remain are going thru the list of reported bugs and doing what can
> be done and updating the sources...

Umm, well I'd like to see my patches for an enhanced Redirect command
(Redirect SeeOther /2 url, etc) implemented, and to fix the headers on 2xx
and 3xx statuses problem (currently got 2 +1's for that one). Also Satisfy
is needed, and those other bits'n'pieces that have been listed a few times
over the past couple of weeks.

> Let's set up at least some kind of timeline for the 1.2beta release...
> I think that we can, and should, release 1.2beta without worrying
> about the docs being up-to-date... I'd like 1.2beta out, say, in about
> a week (11/25?)?

I'm not entirely sure that you should release a beta without telling
people how to use the new features. While I'm sure we'd all like to see
1.2 out asap, I really think we need at the very least the list of what's
new in 1.2 to be current and up-to-date, and preferably each of the what's
new items to have it's own description. I don't think this'll take this
long once the directory structure for the documents tree is sorted out.
I've already submitted a bunch of what's new docs, as well as a basic
index (which I think Alexei has since updated).

But first we need to decide on the directory structure. I think we should
to arrange it along the lines suggested by Brian a couple of weeks ago. If
we don't do this we'll never be able to sort out the distinctions between
the manuals for 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. He suggests making docs/1.2 hold the
complete docs for 1.2, rather than just the what's new, as it currently
does.

What could happen is:

  - Move 1.1 docs from docs/*html to docs/1.1
  - In docs/1.2, move index.html to (say) new.html.
  - Make sure that new.html is complete and linked to subpages
  - ** Release 1.2 Beta **
  - Start copying the 1.1 docs (now in docs/1.1) into docs/1.2, updating
    them to match 1.2 functionality
  - ....
  - When docs/1.2 is fully up-to-date and the beta cycle for the
    software is finished....
  - Release 1.2 full

I think a release of 1.2 beta on 25 Nov ought to be acheivable, be the
docs need updating starting now.

Paul
UK Web Ltd