httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Redirect extensions
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 09:58:51 GMT
On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>   2) RedirectPermanent, RedirectTemp, etc.
>      To implement NCSA-compatible directives for 301 redirection.
>      Path available, needs another +1 before it can be committed.
>      Patch by Paul Sutton.

This has enough +1s, so I've committed it. It can now return 301, 302 and
410 statuses -- the latter by, for example

  Redirect /missing gone

However, for RedirectPermanent and RedirectTemp, I'd prefer to use an
(optional) argument rather than new directives. For example:

  Redirect Temp      /missing http://new.com/
  Redirect Permanent /missing http://new.com/
  Redirect           /missing http://new.com/

(the final one defaulting to Redirect Temp). Leave RedirectPermanent and
RedirectTemp in but document them as NCSA-compatibility directives only.

This would make it easy to add the remaining redirect status, 303 See
Other, as:

  Redirect SeeOther /missing http://new.com/

and the 410 Gone could be implemented consistently with

  Redirect Gone     /missing

Finally, this directive format would make it easy to allow for
custom responses due to (say) HTTP extensions, if we also allowed
status numbers to be used, for example:

  Redirect 320     /a-new-status http://new.com/

This would seem to me to be more logical and extensible than using a new
directive for each redirect status. Anyone else agree? I don't think it
would be too much work to update mod_alias to support this new, optional,
status argument.

Paul