httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Dec 1st
Date Sun, 01 Dec 1996 03:10:12 GMT
On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> > I'll take all the lack of objections to 1.2b1 so far as meaning that
> > we're on schedule for a Dec 1st public beta.

Except for one thing - the CHANGES files. These NEED to be updated
before we release the server. There is no way in heck we will ever get
a src/CHANGES file with the changes between 1.1.1 and 1.2b1, so unless
someone objects by midnight PST tonight, I will follow through on the
plan I've outlined twice already, to which no one has commented on
positively or negatively: to remove any mention in src/CHANGES of
changes between major releases (0.8.15 to 1.0, 1.0.5 to 1.1, 1.1.1 to
1.2), and only leave the ones between minor releases (1.1b1 to 1.1b2,
1.1.0 to 1.1.1, etc). This will make the file much smaller, and more
easily manageable. The big groups of changes are pointless anyhow,
because the user doesn't care, and neither do we (we have CVS logs),
and they're incomplete and wrong anyhow.

The main-level CHANGES file I'll create later tonight (as just a
modified lynx -dump new_features_1_2.html - that's how I made the one
we have now).

I am vetoing any release without updates of these two files, as well
as any README or other files that mention version numbers.

> > Randy, are you going to create the tarball ?
>
> Yes.

Great. Just remember to follow the directions at
http://dev.apache.org/httpd/how-to-release.html. There should be
gziped and compressed versions, I'd imagine (apache_1.2b1.tar.Z and
apache_1.2b1.tar.gz), but that's up to you.

Also, remember to update the web pages (change the 1.1.1 notice to say
something like "this is a stable release, blah blah blah", and
put above it a "1.2b1 Released" item, with a link to /dist and the
what's new page - see below) and the README files in the
dist/ directory.

Also, the docs. For now, when you put the server up, I'd just cp -r
the /htdocs/manual directory onto /export/pub/apache/docs (move what's
there now somewhere out of the way, in case we need it). We can figure
something else out later that's more permanent. As I said earlier, you
can link a "What's New in 1.2" link to docs/new_features_1_2.html.

I think that's about it. You probably are on top of all this anyhow, I
just wanted to make sure it's clear what has to be done. (and I may be
forgetting some things).