httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Synonym for XBitHack
Date Mon, 25 Nov 1996 00:58:52 GMT
On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> >I would like to see XBitHack (and other directives, like ScriptAlias)
> >deprecated, with explanations of how to accomplish its functionality in a
> >cleaner way.  For example, for the desired effect that "XBitHack On" would
> >have, I'd suggest .shtml as a filename extension and referring to files
> >internally minus filename extensions - that way you can rename a file from
> >foo.html to foo.shtml without breaking links.
>
> By the time people get around to this way of thinking it's often too
> late (hundreds of URLs out there refering to .html that you can't fix).

Yes you can - MultiViews. It's very simple

Options MultiViews
AddHandler server-parsed ssi

then just rename all your files foo.html.ssi instead of foo.html. This
was one of the magic things that handlers were designed to do. I think
we all owe David Robinson a great debt of thanks for dreaming them up
(although I was the one who coded them).

BTW, something I thought of a bit ago - even if CacheNegotiatedDocs is
off, I think mod_include should not de-cache files if there is only
one variant. Because if you leave off the extension for convenience,
or as in the above example, you still get caching disabled (with
HTTP/1.0 at least - the HTTP/1.1 code does this correctly); this can
be a problem. It's probably a simple fix.