httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: docs progress
Date Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:43:14 GMT
On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> The doc progress looks good.
>
> Question: Would it be a good idea to remove the header/footer
> <!--#includes to make it possible to view this stuff with file://?

revert, yes (since Brian just added it). Remember that these files are
being included with the server distribution, which means they need to
work out of the box, so to speak. And out of the box, Apache does not
resolve SSI directives in .html files. You either need to turn on
XBitHack (and make all the files +x), which is a hack (hence the name)
and shouldn't be condoned in files included with the server (IMHO,
anyway), or add in an "AddHandler server-parsed html". Or change the
.html to .shtml and have the user do the same thing. Either way,
Includes have to be Optioned in in that directory, which they aren't
*anyway* (in the default conf).

So IMHO, as much of a pain it is to maintain, we should NOT use
includes in the documentation.