httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: bread() patch
Date Thu, 21 Nov 1996 06:53:03 GMT
On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> While testing this, I also discovered that CONTENT_LENGTH is not being
> passed to the CGI script if the incoming data is chunked.  How is the

Yes... that's because the client doesn't send one; we don't know what
the size is. So how can we create a content length?

> script supposed to know how much data to read if we remove the chunk sizes
> but do not create CONTENT_LENGTH?  They can't look for EOF.  We may have

Um... why not? That was the solution I had in mind when I wrote the
code (or rather, when I ripped it off from rst's apache-XX), and it
works for me... Yes, it's not directly compatible with CGI/1.1, but
it's a small change. In fact, it's easier on the CGI...

> to rethink this notion of protecting stupid CGI scripts by doing the
> chunking transparently.  Either that or use a temporary file.

I defenitely think we need to protect CGI scripts (and they're not
"stupid") - the whole point is to make it so that Apache can do
anything it wants, even whole other protocols, and the CGI script
doesn't know about it. Do we really want everyone to have to go
through this again when we support HTTP/2.0, for example? I thought
that's why nph-scripts were a bad idea.