httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Proxy patch to change host -> www.host.com
Date Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:19:16 GMT
On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 rasmus@vex.net wrote:

> I have gotten very used to a little shortcut built into Netscape's
> host->IP resolver.  If you feed it a single word hostname, ie. "ibm",
> it will then turn it into "www.ibm.com" for you if "ibm" in itself
> doesn't resolve.  The Apache proxy doesn't currently handle this.
> Here is a simple patch to make it do so:

Very dangerous, doing it this way. Note that Netscape, if it's doing
this, changes the status bar, so you know it's been done. This patch
would make it happen without the knowledge of user. They would still
see "http://ibm/" in their status bar. I would perfer that if the
Apache proxy did this (and I'm not sure it should - but I'm not sure
it shouldn't), it should check to see if the www.*.com address exists,
and if it does, it should send a redirect to the client.