httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: outstanding issues for 1.2 code freeze.
Date Tue, 05 Nov 1996 03:39:42 GMT
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> > +1. Note that, as Roy said, Vary headers MUST be sent (or we ain't 1.1
> > compliant). This is a little more subtle than meets the eye, as we have to
> > send Vary even for things that _don't_ match. I'm prepared to put a bit of
> > thought into making this as easy as poss for modules if there is consensus to
> > proceed. Also note that BrowserMatch as it stands makes us noncompliant with
> > 1.1, so I guess we have to do something.
>
> Not too easy -- you don't want to send Vary at all unless the actual content
> of the response might change in a way that affects caching.  Something like
> nokeepalive or denying bad robots does not qualify.

Precisely. Which is why I didn't have mod_browser send a "Vary:
User-Agent" header - because it sets the env variable for every darn
request, and for the use for which it was originally intended (I wrote
the module while employed by Organic Online, for them), the content
which was generated based on the User-Agent string (server-parsed HTML
files) would be uncacheable by its very nature anyway, so I didn't
worry about it too much. If we extend the functionality,
unfortuantely, we have to start worrying about it. In other words,
when all a header can do is set an env variable, it's not a big deal,
because the only things that can use env variables are CGI scripts and
(X)SSI documents, which are generally uncacheable. Anyone who has a
custom module that also uses them presumable knows what they're
doing. That's the rationale for mod_browser not setting Vary.

But when you allow things like

<Header User-Agent ~Mozilla/.*>
Alias /generic-images /netscape-images
</Header>

(to use a stupid example), then you open up a whole realm of
cacheability questions. Methinks this should be shunted to 2.0.