httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: get_client_block()
Date Mon, 04 Nov 1996 20:42:35 GMT
On 4 Nov 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> This should be handled by an API version bump not changing the name of
> a previously used function just to stop old modules compiling, that's
> nasty, you've just broken every existing module.

Yes. They would be broken otherwise. They would not work correctly
with the new setup. The API number has bumeen bumped, but that doesn't
affect modules that are *recompiled* under the new server (and since
dld works... well... not at all... that's what everyone has to do).

> You should have created a completely new function with a different name
> that 1.2 modules used if the interface had changed that radically.  We

Um... I did. Isn't that what I just said?

> need to implement an API version check *NOW* before this gets any worse

There is an API version check. But it only affects pre-compiled object
files, not things that are compiled newly. This is why the function
name had to change - because it does something completely differnet.

> and we should maintain support for previous API versions or all those
> third party modules are going to break.  The longer we leave this the
> more legacy modules we'll have out there. If it's done now then we can
> assume that anything that doesn't register itself as requiring API
> version X will use API version 1. Once there are lots of different API
> versions out there we'll have chaos.

This is something that's on the 2.0 to-do list. For 1.x, it's enough
to simply say that you need three different versions of the module
(1.0, 1,1 and 1.2 - 1.0 and 1.1 are probably the same anyhow) - and
you can use #if statements to control this transparently to the user,
because the API number has been bumped each time athe API has been
changed/enhanced (I've been very careful about this).

And it wasn't just a change for the sake of change or even for better
programming and capability - if we were back-compaible with old use of
the read_client_block() function in any way, Apache could not be
HTTP/1.1 compliant. At all. There is (unforunatley) no way around
this.